One of top 2016 Student Athletes on the West Coast Ian Carter of Serra HS of Gardena, California. Ian has been showing out grabbing major attention from college recruiters and media outlets. Mid Major Hoops Report has brought him to our “Players Corner” where we at MMHR are proud to highlight him as one of the fastest rising prospects in the 2016 Class….
Ian Carter 6’7″ Forward Serra High School 2016
Long arms and very athletic with major bounce, shows promise, he is very timid on offense, he needs to take more shots within teams offense and attack the basket more, he will be really good if he continues to work on his three ball and dribbling skills.
1. What is your official height and weight?
Ian Carter:6’6” Wing/Forward 180lbs
2. What position do you see yourself playing in college?
Ian Carter:I can see my self at the 2,3, and 4 if I keep growing
3. What AAU team are you playing with this year?
Ian Carter:California Supreme
4. Describe your game for coaches and fans who haven’t seen you play yet?
Ian Carter:I like to play up-tempo with tons of fast break dunks and good transition passes. If I get the rebound with an opportunity to break, I’ll take it myself. I can shoot the ball pretty well and I think my handle is solid, but they both could get better.
5. What makes you stand out the most from other players you compete against?
Ian Carter:I try to talk a lot on defense, it gets the opposing offense rattled and us hyped. I also think that being able to take charges makes me stand out too.
6. What part of your game do you feel like you’ve improved on the most in
the last year?
Ian Carter:Defense, I have been able to guard every position so far in the season. I have guarded 5’10” point guards to 7 foot centers.
7. What aspect of your game are you working the hardest on to improve?
Ian Carter:I need to develop more confidence in my ability; I feel that I work out often enough that if I gain more confidence my game will go to another level. In terms of skill, I have been working hard on my guard skills for the upcoming AAU season.
8. What schools have shown strong interest so far?
Ian Carter: So far I have no offers, but I have interests from Columbia, New Mexico State, Loyola Maryland, and Holy Cross.
9. Who are some of the college coaches who have made an impression on you
and your family?
Ian Carter:The best impressions that have been made so far as recruitment goes is by Columbia’s Todd Goldman and head coach Kyle Smith.
10. Do you have a top five to ten schools you’re looking at right now?
Ian Carter: So far I really like the idea of going to Columbia, but if I had a chance to go to Ohio State, Duke, UCLA, or Syracuse I would be all in.
11. What schools have you visited? Do you have any visits planned for the
Ian Carter:I have visited Cal State Fullerton and LMU with my non-biological older brother, Ron Freeman. I plan on going on a few unofficials.
12. Would you prefer to play college basketball close to home, or is that
not a factor for you?
Ian Carter:It doesn’t matter really. Any place where I could play basketball for a good fan base would be great.
13. How hard do you work on your game? How much time do you put in?
Ian Carter:I spend tons of time working on my game. I make sure that I go hard every time because if I don’t, I’m allowing someone else to get better.
14. How old were you when you first picked up a basketball?
Ian Carter: I was about 6 playing for the little YMCA league when I first tried basketball out. I didn’t play on any competitive teams until about the seventh grade though.
15. What things are really important to you when it comes to choosing where
to play college basketball?
Ian Carter: In terms of basketball I would like great fans, a good relationship with the coaching staff, and teammates that are willing to work as hard as me. In terms of academics I would prefer smaller classes and professors willing to work one on one.
16. Who are some of the mentors who helped you get to where you are right now?
Ian Carter:My parents are my biggest supporters, but I feel that the most significant coach that I have ever been with was my seventh grade AAU coach. I learned a lot about footwork there. I can say that most of the coaches I have been with are big parts of where I am now.
17. What’s your favorite moment as a basketball player so far?
Ian Carter:I think the best moment was when I first dunked a ball on an actual ten-foot hoop.
18. What are your short term goals as a basketball player?
Ian Carter: I want to go undefeated for the rest of my high school season, and I want to get my guard skills up.
19. What are your long term goals?
Ian Carter: I want to become a key player on a division 1 basketball team.
20. Do you have a Facebook or Twitter that you’d like to share with us?
Ian Carter: I don’t use facebook anymore, but my twitter is @iancarter2016
21. What style of play do you prefer?
Ian Carter: Fast pace and up-tempo
22. Who’s a player in college basketball or the NBA that you really respect?
Ian Carter: I hate Lebron but he works so hard and plays on such another level that you can only respect what he has been able to accomplish.
23. Do you prefer Nike, adidas, or Under Armour?
Ian Carter: Nike shoes fit my feet the best.
MMHR would like to give a special thanks to the Carter family for allowing us to interview their son. Good luck on the rest of your season!