One of top 2014 Student Athletes on the West Coast Joey Covarrubiasof Cantwell Sacred Heart HS in Southern California. Joey has been showing out grabbing major attention from college recruiters and media outlets this High School Season. Mid Major Hoops Report has brought him to our “Players Corner” where we at MMHR are proud to highlight him as one of the most underrecruited prospects in the 2014 Class….
1. What is your official height and weight?
Joey Covarrubias: 6’3 and 195lbs
2. What position do you see yourself playing in college?
Joey Covarrubias: As a combo guard I am a versatile player on both ends of the court.
3. What AAU team are you playing with this year?
Joey Covarrubias On one of Dinos Trigonis team. PANGOS/Bellmont Shore.
4. Describe your game for coaches and fans who haven’t seen you play yet?
Joey Covarrubias: Old mans game; I don’t look the part but the results DO! A ‘Mark Jackson/Andre Miller’ type. I am a versatile player. I can shoot the 3 ball effectively off the catch or the dribble. I am a wing who gets to the basket as needed. I am at my best running the point in the last few minutes of a game. My coaches and teammates feel at ease when the ball is in my hand during those winding minutes. Very few observers focus on defense but if they do they will see that I can guard at a high level regardless of position.
5. What makes you stand out the most from other players you compete against?
Joey Covarrubias: How cerebral my whole game is on both end’s of the court. Those watching may not see the impact, but those who coach me and those who I play against can feel how I affected the game.
6. What part of your game do you feel like you’ve improved on the most in the last year?
Joey Covarrubias: Finishing at the basket. It has come from being more on attack mode. Cantwell has required that from me.
7. What aspect of your game are you working the hardest on to improve?
Joey Covarrubias: I am currently working on my ballhandling and getting quicker at my 1st step. I still keep it very simple. One or two moves at most. Its not how fast I can get there, but how do i get there.
8. What schools have shown strong interest so far?
Joey Covarrubias: Cal St LA, and Biola.
9. Who are some of the college coaches who have made an impression on you
and your family?
Joey Covarrubias: No specific one’s at this point. A coach who makes an impression on me will be a coach who want’s me and not one who needs me.
10. Do you have a top five to ten schools you’re looking at right now?
Joey Covarrubias: Fresno St, Cal St Long Beach, Cal St.Fullerton, Northridge, UC Riverside, Grand Canyon, Northern Arizona, Biola, Cal St.LA.
11. What schools have you visited? Do you have any visits planned for the future?
Joey Covarrubias: No visits yet.
12. Would you prefer to play college basketball close to home, or is that not a factor for you?
Joey Covarrubias: Anywhere that gives me the best opportunity.
13. How hard do you work on your game? How much time do you put in?
Joey Covarrubias: I work very hard. I get very little sleep. It is a fulltime occupation with mandatory overtime.
14. How old were you when you first picked up a basketball?
Joey Covarrubias: I was month’s old.
15. What things are really important to you when it comes to choosing where to play college basketball?
Joey Covarrubias: First and foremost, a place where I can get a quality education. Also where a coach can further my in depth pursuit
knowledge of the game.
16. Who are some of the mentors who helped you get to where you are right now?
Joey Covarrubias: My father and my uncle Cezar Guerrero AKA CJ.
17. What’s your favorite moment as a basketball player so far?
Joey Covarrubias: Playing in the CIF championship game my sophmore year minus the end result.
18. What are your short term goals as a basketball player?
Joey Covarrubias: Winning a CIF championship and rewarding myself with a scholarship.
19. What are your long term goals?
Joey Covarrubias: Getting a College degree and getting paid for playing the game I LOVE.
20. Do you have a Facebook or Twitter that you’d like to share with us?
Joey Covarrubias: My twitter is 0jaycee5.
21. What style of play do you prefer?
Joey Covarrubias: Open style type!
22. Who’s a player in college basketball or the NBA that you really respect?
Joey Covarrubias Kobe Bryant
23. Do you prefer Nike, adidas, or Under Armour?
Joey Covarrubias Nike
MMHR would like to thank the Covarrubias family for making this interview happen. Good luck, Joey on the remainder of your season and your quest for a scholarship.