Conducted by: Jerina Madayag of PremierBall.com & Ladell Hill of MidMajor Hoops Report
As the final days of the summer 2015 basketball season ended, we were able to catch up and spend some time with New York 5-star and one of the nation’s elite guards for the class of 2016, Rawle Alkins. Rawle is a fierce competitor and a force to reckon with on both ends of the court. His tenacious offense and defense has led him to becoming one of the most sought out prospects in the country. A young man with great character, as he exhibited this at the Adidas Global Nations, when he invited an injured, Dennis Smith into the huddle for the celebration. Rawle has a bright future ahead of him and we definitely wanted to take this opportunity to get to know him a little better!
1. What is your official height and weight?
RA: I am 6’4, 220Lbs.
2. What position do you see yourself playing in college?
RA: A combo guard, Point guard and Shooting Guard
3. What AAU Team are you playing with this year?
RA: The New York Rens.
4. Describe your game for coaches and fans who have never seen you play.
RA: I am an aggressive guard, always on attack mode. I know how to create for myself and others. I believe I can shoot well and I am just a winner.
5. What makes you stand out the most from other players you compete against?
RA: Everyone is athletic, everyone can do a lot of the same things. My motor doesn’t stop.
6. What part of your game do you feel like you’ve improved on the most in the last year?
RA: My shooting and my ball handling.
7. What aspect of your game are you working the hardest to improve?
RA: Everything, I feel like I can and need to work on every part of my game.
8. What schools have shown strong interest so far?
RA: Well, the schools that I have cut my list to.
9. Who are some of the college coaches that have made an impression on you and your family?
RA: Most of the schools on my top 10
10. Do you have a top five to ten school you’re looking at right now?
RA: Yes, I just released my top 10: Kentucky, North Carolina, Texas, Kansas, St. John’s, Louisville, NC State, UNLV, Maryland and Indiana.
11. What schools have you visited ? Do you have any visits planned for the future?
RA: No, nothing planned right now, just working on prep school.
12. Would you prefer to play college basketball close to home, or is that not a factor for you?
RA: Location doesn’t matter
13. How hard do you work on your game? How much time do you put in?
RA: Every day, I will catch my flight home to New York, then when I get home, I will be back in the gym.
14. How old were you when first picked up a basketball?
RA: I was about 5 years old.
15. What things are really important to you when it comes to choosing where to play college basketball?
RA: Atmosphere, I want to play where it is a family, not just feel like it’s a job.
16. Who are some of the mentors who helped you get to where you are right now?
RA: Well, I don’t have a personal trainer, I have been working on my own.
17. What is your favorite moment as a basketball player so far?
RA: I think winning the 3rd New York City title. I felt more a part of the team that 3rd year!
18. What are some of your short term goals/ long term goals?
RA: Haven’t really thought out short term goals. Long term goals, besides basketball, I want to try to take up acting in the future or become an actor.
19. What style of play do you prefer?
RA: Up tempo and team basketball.
20. Who is a player in college basketball or the NBA that you really respect?
RA: I respect all of them even though I don’t know them personally. But I respect them because they are there and they made it!
21. Tell the world something about Rawle Alkins that people might not know.
RA: Well, my mom raised me and played both roles in my life. People think that because I am a kid from New York that I am aggressive. But, I am open and I talk to everyone. I feel that I am a friendly person.
22. Do you have a Facebook , Twitter, IG?
Facebook: Rawle Alkins