One of top 2015 Student Athletes in Northern, California, Vinnie Safin of Rocklin HS (CA) has been showing out grabbing attention from college recruiters and media outlets.
Mid Major Hoops Report has invited him to our “Players Corner” where we at MMHR are proud to highlight him and allow him to give us insight on his recruitment at this time….
1. What is your official height and weight?
VS: 6’4″ 185 pounds
2. What position do you see yourself playing in college?
VS: Shooting Guard
3. What AAU team are you playing with this year?
VS: NorCal Pharaohs Elite
4. Describe your game for coaches and fans that haven’t seen you play yet?
VS: I like to do the dirty work on defense with rebounding, steals and charges, but then I shoot and rebound well on offense.
5. What makes you stand out the most from other players you compete against?
VS: My relentless mindset to compete
6. What part of your game do you feel like you’ve improved on the most in the last year?
VS: Creating my own shot and ball handling.
7. What aspect of your game are you working the hardest on to improve?
VS: I want to make ball handling one of my biggest threats.
8. What schools have shown strong interest so far?
VS: I have an offer from Houston Baptist. High interest from Hawaii, Utah Valley, Boston University, and Air Force. Also Boise State, UC Irvine, Cal Poly, San Diego.
9. Who are some of the college coaches who have made an impression on you and your family?
VS: Coach Fisher from Hawaii. Coach Condie from Utah Valley, and Coach Kinne from Houston Baptist. Coach Evans from BYU-Hawaii.
10. Do you have a top five to ten schools you’re looking at right now?
VS: Not right now, most likely after this summer.
11. What schools have you visited? Do you have any visits planned for the future?
VS: I’ve been to Stanford for the Elite camp. Have talked about visits with a few schools. Scheduling those after summer.
12. Would you prefer to play college basketball close to home, or is that not a factor for you?
VS: I want to go where I feel is right. Whether that means close to home or farther away.
13. How hard do you work on your game? How much time do you put in?
VS: I am working on my game 5-6 days a weeks. Always in the gym pursuing my dream.
14. How old were you when you first picked up a basketball?
VS: 5 years old
15. What things are really important to you when it comes to choosing where to play college basketball?
VS: Academics, facilities and coaching staff.
16. Who are some of the mentors who helped you get to where you are right now?
VS: My Family, Jason Barton, Troy Selvey, Al Jackson, Damond Edwards
17. What’s your favorite moment as a basketball player so far?
VS: Playing at Sleep Train Arena
18. What are your short term goals as a basketball player?
VS: Get better everyday and signing by the end of 2014.
19. What are your long term goals?
VS: Playing overseas and becoming a college coach. Also providing for my family.
20. Do you have a Facebook or Twitter that you’d like to share with us?
VS: Yes Twitter and Instagram: @vinniesafin
Special Thanks to the Safin family for allowing us to interview their son. Please keep us posted and informed on upcoming recruiting information. God Bless!